Under certain situations, some people become difficult to handle because they refuse to cooperate and understand. Difficult people may contribute negatively to situations and people, but they need to be handled rationally and positively so that the damage they can cause is reduced or averted. This training course includes identifying difficult people, judging their impact on others/environment, influencing difficult people towards positive outcomes. It is also about resolving conflicts effectively to the satisfaction of the parties involved. It involves the use of understanding and techniques to handle negativity with positivity.
Regardless of your industry or circumstances, chances are, from time to time you’ll have to negotiate situations involving difficult people, clients, customers or even staff. It’s a fact of life, you cannot, despite your best efforts, please everyone you deal with.
Developing an understanding of fundamental behavioral styles will enable you to apply the appropriate assertive communication skills in all types of day-to-day work and non-work situations. You will acquire practical techniques which will enable you to neutralize aggressive behavior – and avoid a build-up of resentment and negative attitudes which lead to reduced productivity, resignation, loss of business and friendships.
This practical 2-days course focusing exclusively on how to deal with difficult colleagues at work – whether they be peers, staff, boss or customers/clients. From loud autocrats to manipulative, charming backbiters, the whole range of difficult behaviors will be explored.
Handling Conflicts Training by PEAK SUCCESS ABUNDANCE
Handling Conflicts Training by PEAK SUCCESS ABUNDANCE – Testimonial
Handling Conflicts Training by PEAK SUCCESS ABUNDANCE – Testimonial
- Understand sources of conflicts
- Master the key techniques to resolve conflicts satisfactorily
- Why are people difficult/challenging – recognize the different types of difficult people
- Examine the personality profiles of difficult people
- Develop a greater awareness of a difficult person’s personal perspectives
- Assess your own beliefs & values
- Evaluate & reflect upon a person’s behavior pattern, motivation & value system
- Recognize ways difficult people contribute to situations
- Interpret the Degrees of Difficulty
- Develop plans & coping strategies for dealing with difficult people & difficult situations – master a problem solving approach
- Implement the LEAD model for a better outcome
- Analyze & use AI (Appreciative Inquiry)
- Practical techniques – what to do & say in conflict situations
- Anger management techniques & staying calm
- Communicating with difficult people – practice right words to use
- Master key communication skills & techniques – verbal & non verbal
- Improve on listening skills
- Explain ‘First Response’ & how to move past it to be more constructive
- Consider ‘Go’ & ‘No Go’ options
- How to overcome the feelings that difficult people give you
For all personnel in any organization/company/industry who aim to
- build strong and collaborative work relationships
- master the intricacies of interpersonal skills
- be able to resolve conflicts effectively & satisfactorily
- deal and manage difficult people
- handle challenging and stressful situations
1. DIFFERENT TYPES OF DIFFICULT PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE – WHY THEY BEHAVE AS THEY DO
You will learn how to make sense of the difficult people you work with & how they fall within clearly identified categories, providing the first step in managing their behavior. Different types of difficult people covered include autocratic dictators, passive aggressive types, soothing delayers, back stabbers, constant fault finders, constant criticizers
- Personality Profile of difficult & negative people. Who are difficult & problem people?
- Specific causes of difficult behavior. Common warning signs
- Problem people or people relationship?
- The challenge of handling negative people
- Weapons difficult people use
- Coping strategies for difficult behaviors
- Dealing with difficult situations
- Conquering resistance
- Recognizing potential difficulties
Ten Ways To Handle Grievances
Six-Step Intervention Model
Group Exercise & Role Play
2. HOW YOU SEE & HEAR DIFFICULT PEOPLE
- How I contribute to the Problem
- Preferences/World View
3. THE POWER OF A DIFFICULT PERSON
- Degrees of Difficulty
- Favorite Difficult Person
- First Response
- Getting Past the First Response
- Go, No Go
4. BE EMPOWERED BY A PROBLEM SOLVING APPROACH
You will learn a positive problem solving approach to dealing with such people which will provide new strategies & increase confidence to deal with them. A range of general techniques will be demonstrated & described which have both preventative value as well as offering a positive approach to dealing with difficult behavior when it occurs
- Responding to critical remarks
- Learn 8 simple steps for handling tough-type co-workers
- one approach that works for every troublesome person!
- 5 powerful principles that guide you smoothly through any confrontational situation & managing difficult people
- Are you avoiding a problem?
- How to tell if you’re making a situation worse by turning your back on it
5. MANAGING CONFLICTS
- Ways of preventing conflict from developing
- Identifying the reasons for the conflicts
- Learning to step back from conflicts & assess the situation
- Conflict resolutions – finding common ground
- Emotional aspects of conflicts – taking the heat out of conflict
Role Play – Testing your Skills in Dealing with Conflict
6. HOW TO DEAL WITH CONFRONTATIONS?
- Using APA communication model to manage difficult people
- How to use the 5-Step Guide to Confrontations?
- What can be learned from confrontation examples?
- How to deal with reactive & toxic words?
- How to prevent a challenging conversation by choosing the right words?
- What are the toxic statements, phrases, gestures, attitudes that can significantly affect your conversation & relationship with others?
- How to avoid using them & handle people who use them on you?
7. HOW TO LOOK FOR PATTERNS?
- What are the characteristics of difficult people & how to deal with them?
- What are the example behavior?
- What are the origins of their behavior?
- How to use these patterns to handle difficult people?
8. STRATEGIES FOR DEALING WITH DIFFICULT PEOPLE & SITUATIONS – MAKING A PLAN
You will also learn effective specific ways of dealing with different types of difficult behavior, as well as a number of techniques for ‘neutralizing’ the impact of such behavior. From this, you will develop an action plan you can return to the workplace with & put into effect.
- How to avoid clashes by dealing with situations immediately & effectively
- How to defuse difficult situations before they become critical
- Developing a win/win approach
- Dealing with problem (not the person) & developing a workable solution
- When someone starts yelling
- Two faced people
- When threatened
- Someone holding a grudge
- Handling indecision
- Getting people to accept responsibility
Getting To The Root Problem: Using Your Head Creativity
Personal Action Plan
9. LEADING A DIFFICULT PERSON TO A BETTER OUTCOME
- The LEAD Model
- Listen, Explore, Attend, Deliver a Solution
- Being the Difficult Person
- Appreciative Inquiry
Review & application – Plan Applying Techniques In Different Situations & With Different People
Consider Differences Dealing With External & Internal Customers
10. USING ASSERTIVENESS SKILLS FOR TODAY’S DYNAMIC WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- How to develop effective assertiveness skills to help you achieve your objectives
- Understanding the link between confidence & assertiveness
- Being assertive without becoming inflexible or aggressive
- How to handle complaints & criticism
- Dealing with aggressive colleagues/customers/clients
11. STAYING CALM WHILE DEALING WITH DIFFICULT PEOPLE – MANAGINMG ANGER
Often, knowing what or even how to deal with a difficult colleague is not enough. When we are confronted by them our worry, fury or self-doubt prevents us from behaving in the way we know we should. In this course you will have the opportunity to explore different ways of keeping calm whilst tackling the difficult people they come into contact with at work.
- Understanding more about anger
- Managing your own anger & dealing with other people’s anger
- Preventative strategies
- Staying composed: avoid personal stress
- Turning things to your advantage
Anger Management Techniques
12. EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION TO GAIN RESPECT & ACHIEVE OUTCOMES – USING THE RIGHT WORDS
- Developing key communication skills & competencies to deal with difficult people
- Asking questions, knowing & striking the right tone
- Listening for answers
- Showing attentiveness
- Recognizing & overcoming prejudice
- Checking that you understand the message
- Responding to someone
- Acting on what you hear
- Why people are not listening to you & how to get them to listen to you
- Understanding & using effective non-verbal messages
- Understanding body language & giving body signals
- Understanding, recognize & using gestures
Group Exercise & Role Play To Get Your Ideas Across
De-Briefing To Analyze Strength & Weaknesses
Team Exercise – Guess Who’s Telling The Truth!
One To One Exercise – Developing Your Listening Skills
13. HOW TO OVERCOME THE FEELINGS DIFFICULT PEOPLE GIVE YOU
- Put yourself in charge of you
- De-stress options
14. UNIQUE SESSION – PERMANENT CHANGE: CREATE LASTING CHANGE WITHIN YOURSELF & YOUR ORGANIZATION. FORMULA FOR CHANGING ATTITUDES OF DIFFICULT PEOPLE
- Change your behavior to change the interaction
- Negative interaction cycles
- Positive interaction cycles
- Permanent dissociation
- 3 steps to lasting change
- The 3 pillars of an extraordinary life
- Eliciting a strategy
- The Dickens Process: Limiting Beliefs
- The Dickens Process: Empowering Beliefs
- The 4 Keys elements of Anchoring
In this session participants are taken though a process, The Dickens Process, which is a very powerful NLP technique to eliminate once & for all unempowering habits
15. REVIEW AND APPLICATION
- Review and discuss lessons learned
- Plan applying techniques in different situations and with different people
- Consider differences between dealing with customers and internal team members
Accelerated Learning Technique based on the 4Ps: Preparation, Presentation, Practice, Performance
To make the training effective & thought provoking yet lively & entertaining, the trainer utilizes a combination of various training methodologies including a combination of expert input plus practical sessions including:
- Instructions, Group Discussions, Presentations, Video Films & Clips
- Brainstorming Sessions, Practical Hands On Sessions
- Demonstrations, Role Play, Games & Activities
- Creative Music, Visualization, Clearing Techniques
- NLP Tools, Notes & Hand Outs, Group & Individual Exercises
She has been an independent corporate training consultant since 1993. She has a unique background in management, finance and banking. The past twenty-two years she has conducted training in management development, communication and image management which has earned her excellent feedback from participants due to her fun and engaging training style.
Ms. Hashim pursued I.C.S.A. in ITM (1980-1984) where she was offered a scholarship by the former BBMB. She then worked for more than eight years in operations and training with the Bank. It was during this time that she obtained a Certificate in Training & Development (ITD, U.K.) and attended the Diploma course in Training Management. She also attended the consultancy program “Loyalty Management” in Oslo, Norway where she learned about strategies on creating a customer loyalty culture. Hamidah is a PSMB/HRDF-recognized trainer.
Her training experience includes conducting numerous public seminars in areas of Communication, Corporate Image and Customer Service. She has also conducted many in-house programs for multinational companies (such as IBM, Panasonic, HSBC), Malaysian companies, higher learning institutions/universities as well as government agencies in Malaysia and Brunei.
Ms. Hashim’s forte is in personal skills which include Customer Service, Communication, Corporate Image and Train-the-Trainer. Hamidah has also appeared on RTM’s “Selamat Pagi Malaysia” to speak on topics like Personal Change and Communication Skills. In Image Management; Hamidah has had the opportunity to learn from the best in the industry; Robert Pante, a renowned image consultant from the US and an Australian color consultant. A firm believer in continuous improvement (kaizen), Hamidah regularly attends courses to enhance her knowledge and skills as a professional trainer.
Her other training experience includes; being an active volunteer and was a board member with AFS/ABM International & Intercultural programs where she conducts workshops on cross-cultural learning for Malaysian families and foreign students. She has also made a presentation on ‘cross-cultural adaptation skills’ in Dunedin, New Zealand for an international conference attended by participants in the Pacific region.
Among the organizations that had enjoyed Hamidah’s in-house programs are as follows:
- Ambank – Corporate Image & Etiquette
- IBM (Global Services) – Customer Service, and Corporate Image
- Celcom – Professional Grooming
- CIMB (Secretaries) – Corporate Image & Etiquette
- Sunway Group – Interpersonal Skills
- Monash University – Grooming for Interviews
- Bank Simpanan Nasional – Customer Service, and Corporate Image
- Asian Finance Bank – Customer Service
- Kuwait Finance House – Customer Service, and Corporate Image
- Bank Islam – Customer Service
- Panasonic – Team Synergy, and Interpersonal Skills
- Petronas Penapisan – Corporate Image & Etiquette
- MTDC – Corporate Image & Etiquette
- Burger King – Customer Service
- Hotel Maluri – Customer Service, and Corporate Image
- Proton Edar – Corporate Image & Etiquette
- NAZA Motors – Corporate Image & Etiquette
- Securities Commission – Corporate Image & Etiquette
- Telekom – Corporate Image & Etiquette
- TNB – Customer Service
- UMMC – Customer Service
- LITRAK (LDP & Sprint) – Customer Service
- PTPTN – Customer Service, and Corporate Image
- S.P.A.D – Customer Service
- SPNB – Customer Service
- PSMB – Customer Service
- MARA – Presentation Skills
- AFS – Presentation Skills, & Counseling Skills
- Istana Budaya – Corporate Image & Etiquette
- Khazanah Nasional – Time Management
- Kementerian Kerja Raya – Corporate Image & Etiquette
- Kem. Pembangunan Wanita – Interpersonal Skills, & Grooming
- Kementerian Pengajian Tinggi – Interpersonal Skills
- PDRM (Bukit Aman) – Train-the-Trainer, Team Synergy & Understanding Body Language
- HSBC (Sales Division) – Go the Extra Mile