Relationships is one of the most important elements in life. No matter in family on in workplace. The relationship among others hold the key to happiness and unexplored potential. For instance, the relationship among team members in a corporate institution is crucial to get a task done. Apart from that, interpersonal skills in family and love life is the glue that gels the bond together. This soft skill is guarantees success in life.
There are few steps to generate strong interpersonal relationship with others:
1. Build Trust
- Be predictable and reliable
- Communicate clearly. Avoid saying you will do things you do not intend to do.
- Be clear whether making a commitment or just talking about possibilities.
- Take your promises seriously. Write, review regularly and act on them.
- Help Others To Be More Reliable
- Do not take trust for granted. Take action which reduces risk of breakdown in trust e.g. avoid leaving money lying around.
- Trust others when they deserve it. Do not let your aversion to risk or perfectionism or need for control stop you from delegating.
- Be specific and clear in encouragement and criticism. Give constructive feedback which is fair and accurate
- Treat Problems As Opportunities, Not Crimes
- Use each incident of apparent unreliability as an opportunity to reduce the likelihood of it happening again.
2. Try to understand others
Make a list of the people you work and interact with. Ponder about the people you get along with and those you do not get along with (if any). What is the reason?
Consider and think about these things:
- what you both have in common or not at all
- how well both of you understood each other’s needs and wants
- how well both of you understand the things that make the other person behave as they do
- how much both of you enjoy or dislike each other’s presence
- how much both of you tolerate each other’s behaviour that you don’t like
- how both of you react to what the other says and does
- what it is you like or dislike about the other person
- why you do not meet their expectations and vice versa
- what things are most important to you and to them
3. Work on Yourself
Remind yourself that you are an important human being. Accentuate the positive aspects about yourself. Allow yourself to be imperfect *make errors and fail occasionally – everybody you know does, why not you too? Remember we learn more from our ‘failures’ than from our successes.
You have to invest in yourself consistently. Corporate training courses in Malaysia is abundant, try to join them. Plus, gain some valuable soft skills. This ensures consistent growth throughout life.
4. Listen with your ears
- Have a purpose for listening
- Look at the person
- Suspend judgment initially
- Wait before responding
- Ignore distractions. If distracted – apologise and ask them to say it again
- Paraphrase to the speaker’s satisfaction
- Be on the lookout for the important themes of what the speaker says
- See the world from their position
- Reflect on the content of what you hear and search for meaning
- Be ready to respond
5. Be clear & precise in your expression
- Remind yourself that the other person is not a mind reader.
- Don’t leave people guessing about what you mean.
4. Cope with angry feelings
- Be aware of your feelings – don’t deny or suppress them
- Overcome the urge to say things which are fuelled by anger. Wait until you are calmer. Most things said in anger are regretted later
- Accept responsibility for what you do
- Talk about how you feel. Make no accusations
5. Be ready for self disclosure
Talk fully and truthfully about yourself. Treat with respect what other people tell you about themselves. In this way, you will have faith from those who are listening to you.
This article is just a glimpse of the in-house training course provided by us. The full training course can be conducted in your corporate organisation. The in-house training course outline can be found here. For other corporate training courses, please click here.
FOR MORE DETAILS PLS CONTACT US AT
Email: [email protected] /[email protected]
YouTube: Rachel Khor
Principal Trainer, Peak Success Abundance Sdn Bhd
From Directive Communication International & American Institute of Business Psychology:
– Certification in Colored Brain Communication
– Certification in Human Drive & Motivation
– Certification in Dynamic Speaking
– Certification in Curriculum Development
– PSMB Certified Trainer
– Certification in Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
– Certification in Hypnotherapy from London College of Clinical
– 18 years corporate training experience